Department of Anaesthesia
Introduction: Holy Family Hospital has a very experienced and capable Department of Anaesthesia. In any Health Care Organization, a strong and efficient Anaesthesia Department has a very important role in delivering good surgical outcome. It needs efficient Doctors, Nurses, Technicians and other paramedical staff to run it smoothly. The Anaesthesiologist take care of the preoperative, intraoperative and postoperative care of the patients requiring Surgical intervention. There are a total of 9 Operation Theatres. 7 in the Main Complex and 2 in the Labour Room complex, the latter exclusively for Gynaecology and Obstetrics requirements.
Role of Doctors:
All the Anaesthesologists are highly experienced and trained from renowned Centres. The average experience of an Anaesthesiologist in the Department is more than 16 years, which is quite high. There is a very wide variety of patients who are being successfully managed by these Anaesthesiologists. From New born to an Extreme Geriatric patient of more than 100 years.
Meticulous preoperative assessment including a meeting of all Senior Consultants on the day prior to Surgery regarding all high risk cases is undertaken. A smooth anaesthesia and recovery is the goal that is targeted and achieved in all cases. Postoperatively patients are closely monitored in the recovery room adjoining the OT directly by the Anaesthesiologist. Thereafter as per triage of the patients, they are sent to their respective rooms, Post-operative Room or in ICU (if need be)
MAJOR DISEASES TREATED UNDER THE BRANCH:
The Surgical specialties being covered are:
- General Surgery including Minimally Invasive Laparoscopic Surgeries.
- Neurosurgery including major life saving procedures like excision of brain tumors.
- Cardiac Surgeries – Open and closed heart surgeries, valvular replacements, Coronary bypass grafting etc.
- Orthopaedic surgeries including joint replacements, arthroscopic surgeries, fracture fixations etc.
- ENT Surgeries including endoscopic surgeries
- Gynaecological and Obstetrical procedures
- Paediatric Surgeries including correction of congenital malformation in a few hours old new born
- Urological Surgeries including Renal Transplant, endoscopic Laser treatment of stones, prostate enlargement etc.
- Plastic and cosmetic Surgeries includes reconstructive surgery
- Vascular Surgeries
- Ophthamic Surgeries
- Laparoscopic Gynaecological procedures
Anaesthesiologists also provide services outside the premises of OT Complex:
- For MRI and CT scan of selected patients
- For ERCP
- For Upper GI Endoscopy and Colonoscopy especially in children
- Ultrasound guided procedures in children
There are a total of 9 Operation Theatres, out of which 2 are earmarked for Obstetrical procedures. The Operation Theatres are equipped with latest Anaesthesia machines, Monitors, Operation Tables, overhead lights etc. The standard of care is very high. All the International established protocols are followed for care of the patients. Perfect aseptic techniques are followed, as a result infection rates are one of the lowest. Patient safety standards are obsessively and scrupulously followed, since that is the ultimate goal here.
The Anaesthesiologists are proficient in giving General anaesthesia as well as Regional Anaesthesia including a wide variety of nerve blocks. As a result patients go back happy and comfortable after Surgery and Anaesthesia.
Consultants in the Department
There are 3 Senior Consultants in the Department:
1. Dr. Mamta Aggarwal - Coordinator of the Department.
2. Dr. A.K.Sarkar
3. Dr. Madhuchhanda Pakrashi.
Apart from that, there are 2 Consultants and 2 Junior Consultants in the Department:
1. Dr. Zakir Hussain (Consultant)
2. Dr. Pragati Nanda (Consultant)
3. Dr. Shilpa Bajaj (Junior Consultant)
4. Dr. Raman Piplani (Junior Consultant)